👋 Ahoy there!
I am a Principal Designer with 14+ years of UX work experience (whether as a Designer, a User Researcher and as a consultant). I'm super passionate for great design and love-love-love helping people with breaking into tech, acing interviews, and planning careers paths.
My mentees range the spectrum of starting/junior- to seasoned design/research professionals, to interns and PhD candidates.
My career in tech has taught me a thing or two about:
1) How to break into 'big tech': how to prepare for interviews as a designer and/or user researcher?
2) What makes a great Design- or User Research portfolio and how to navigate the various interviews and white-boarding exercises?
3) How to determine if the team you're applying for will be a good fit?
4) How to navigate career changes (I used to be a soldier, turned entrepreneur, turned consultant, turned designer, turned user researcher, re-turned designer to finally turned into a Design- & User Research Practice leader)?
5) How to influence stakeholders?
As I have had the opportunity to specialize myself in the AI space for the last 7 years (Principal Designer positions at Microsoft for Computer Vision and Conversational AI). We can definitely go deeper in other topics of interest such as:
- Designing for "black box" experiences
- Ethical and moral implications of AI initiatives
- Planning, Strategizing and executing on User Research activities
Let's get to know each other when we get started. As I want to make sure we have continuity in (y)our mentorship, we will have set a clear agenda, expectations and outcomes for our next session.
Looking so forward to meeting you! 😊
$140 / month
Regular calls, per agreement
Unlimited Q&A via chat
Expect responses in 24 hours or less
Tasks & exercises
Flat fee, no hidden costs
7 day free trial! Cancel anytime.
One-off sessions are a great option if you’re looking for specific advice on a certain topic.
If you're looking for a mentor, and you're just not sure about how this all works – this should be for you. In a casual, informal introductory call, a mentor will introduce themselves, show you around the platform, explain how our mentorships work and explain …
Having a good resume on hand when going on the job hunt is crucial, and will make your search a lot easier. Even if you're not looking for a new position right now, having an up-to-date CV that sells your experience to future potential employers …
We will send you a quick email if Michiel has new open spots for mentorship, and only in that case!